On Thursday, September 26, Engine 710 and Truck 710 were alerted to a possible house fire on Kingswood Road, just off of Old Georgetown Road in Company 26’s area. Units arriving found heavy smoke coming from the house. The fire had extended from to the second floor, up into the attic resulting in approx. $500,000 in damage. The smoke alarms in the house alerted the occupants to the fire, allowing them to report the fire early, and escape quickly. Montgomery County Fire Chief Steve Lohr cited the smoke alarm as the reason lives were saved, and property damage was controlled.
CJPVFD reminds all residents to check their smoke detectors monthly and replace the batteries every time they change their clocks for daylight savings time, which is happening later this month. For more information see this article by Bethesda Now and this Press Release by Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service.